Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Eating Disorders

As I read the Student Health magazine I realized a shocking statistic. At least 80 percent of American women are unhappy with their appearance. Celebrities and the media don’t help much, because they lead women to believe the myth that we can never be too thin. I find that to be very untrue. There are people in my life that are dealing with eating disorders and it controls your life. These girls become sickly and they don’t even realize it. They are too focused on losing weight and looking thin that they don’t realize when they become unhealthy. They thrive off the compliments that they get on looking good, and when they get to a certain point, I have discovered they usually continue to lose in order to keep the attention alive. Perfectionism and stress can be a dangerous combination. When you are obsessed with being perfect and are also stressed out it can drive you to do things you would not ordinarily do. There are many symptoms of eating disorders such as questionable food behaviors such as skipping meals, disliking once favored foods, obsessive compulsive behavior, trouble concentrating, being in a state of constant stress, feelings of depression, anxiety, guilt, loneliness, and desperation. If you see any of these signs in yourself or someone you know please contact the schools health center or a support group, it could save a life.

2 comments:

Brooxie said...

I have known so many girls who have dealt with this. I also know that it is starting at a younger age each year. I know that every girl can be self-conscious about certain aspects of their appearance but I also know that you can overcome these. I think that it is really important for some girls to have people to tell them how they look pretty so that they will feel pretty as well.

Sarah Marie Brock said...

Yeah I know a lot of girls who are way to skinny. This one girl that I went to school with ( you probably know her) I saw her the other day and I could honestly see her bones! It was gross! It looked like she was tired and maybe on drugs. It is unbelievable seeing girls get so skinny. One girl you could see just bones, she had no muscle and it looked like she was going to drop dead any minute!